Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Seven Wisdoms I Learned From Ally McBeal



I know what you’re thinking; Ally McBeal has been off the air for ten years. So why bother writing about it now? Well, a good show never really goes out of style, which is why syndicated reruns exist. Ally’s waify frame and clunky shoes might be passé, but as long as young, single women are braving the world and asking life’s most complex questions, the content will always be relevant. Allow me to share these seven valuable wisdoms I learned from watching Ally McBeal.

Seven: Everyone Should Have a Theme Song

In the first season, Ally is encouraged by her therapist to have a theme song that she can conjure when things get rough. Ally’s song is Searchin’ My Soul by Vonda Shepard, same as the show’s theme song. After watching this season, I got myself a theme song too; Put Your Records On by Corinne Bailey Rae. When I’m having a bad day or at a cross roads, I turn this on for empowerment. And, it works.

Six: At The End of a Hard Day, Dance Your Stress Away

This show is famous for its timeless soundtrack and impromptu dance numbers. I’ve never heard of lawyers breaking out into a dance in the middle of the workday, but it should be a rule. For most of us, blasting music and dancing at work isn’t a suitable option, but at home you’re the boss. If you really want to alleviate some stress, dance it out. Seriously, go for it. Dance like no one is watching and you’ll feel better.

Five: Sometimes In Life You Need a Moment, Take It

I don’t know about you, but all day I’m overwhelmed with calls, emails, texts, meetings, work, household duties, and other responsibilities. Sometimes it gets to be too much, and when it is I step away, take a breath, and take a moment. Just giving your brain a rest for that short time can to wonders.

Four: Almost Anything Can Be Cured With a Bygone

For all you grudge holders out there, this one’s for you. Richard Fish coined the phrase on the show as a way to transition a discussion. Especially if the discussion was about something he did wrong. A bygone is a form of burying the hatchet. Let the petty things roll off your shoulder and let bygones be bygones.

Three: Hope Is Always There for Those Who Believe

Now we’re getting to the deeper and more important wisdoms. Hope isn’t something you’re given, but something you allow yourself. I learned that real revolution comes from optimism and there is no truer form of optimism than hope.

Two: If You Look Back on Your Year & It Doesn’t Bring You Tears Of Joy or Sadness, Consider It A Waste

Wisdom of the wise John Cage, probably the most notable character on the show. This one really gave me perspective about personal growth and revolution. Someone once told me that if you’re not growing you’re dying. It’s been my experience that growing leads to struggle and strain, but as you overcome those growing pains it brings joy.

One: If You Take A Chance on Anything, Take A Chance On Love

This is my favorite wisdom of all, such a beautiful notion of following your heart. Love is the most wonderful thing in the world, and yet the act of falling in love can be terrifying. After all, the lack of control is why it’s called falling in love. But as risks go, this is the most worthwhile. In concluding this final Ally McBeal wisdom, I want to dispense some of my own advice on love. Love yourself, love all others, and fall in love any chance you get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment